Blog

Huguenot Tunnel traffic volumes slightly down from last year’s Easter count

MEDIA RELEASE
Huguenot Tunnel traffic volumes slightly down from last year’s Easter count

Western Cape, 21 April 2022 – Traffic volumes through the Huguenot Tunnel this past Easter weekend reached 63 142, which is slightly less than last year’s count of 64 314.

Preliminary reports indicating less fatalities on Western Cape roads as recorded by the Freeway Management System (FMS), which monitors just over 160km of freeways across the province, are most encouraging.

“If we can start to see improved road user behaviour, combined with an environment more conducive to compliance, we could see further reductions in serious and fatal crashes on our roads, even during peak travel times,” said Randall Cable, Western Region Manager of the South African National Roads Agency SOC Limited (SANRAL).

The Thursday before Good Friday typically sees the highest peak in traffic through the tunnel, with 22 504 vehicles recorded this year, of which 14 747 were headed out of Cape Town and 7 757 inbound. The same time last year saw 23 419 vehicles pass through the toll plaza.

On Easter Monday, we generally expect the next peak, and this year was no different, with 19 593 vehicles recorded, of which 14 403 vehicles were headed home to Cape Town and 5 190 being outbound. This was slightly up from last year’s count of 19303. The average vehicle count per hour was 816.

Easter 2022 traffic volume through the Huguenot Tunnel

 

Thursday Good Friday Easter Saturday Easter Monday
22504 13672 7373 19593

Easter 2021 traffic volume through the Huguenot Tunnel

Thursday Good Friday Easter Saturday Easter Monday
23419 13650 7942 19303

 

“SANRAL extends condolences to the families who have lost loved ones on our road this past weekend. May they be comforted during this difficult time. Together we can reduce the carnage on our roads. Let us commit to doing better,” said Cable.

SANRAL remains committed to advancing economic participation of black business

MEDIA RELEASE
SANRAL remains committed to advancing economic participation of black business

Pretoria,14 April 2022 – The South African National Roads Agency SOC Limited (SANRAL) confirms that it has successfully applied to National Treasury for an exemption from the application of the provisions of the Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Act (PPPFA). This follows a recent Constitutional Court ruling that the 2017 Preferential Procurement Regulations are unlawful, and an interim directive from National Treasury that:

  • tenders advertised before 16 February 2022 be finalised in terms of the 2017 Regulation
  • tenders advertised on or after 16 February 2022 be held in abeyance
  • no new tenders be advertised

Going forward, all contracts will be subject to SANRAL’s internal procurement policies and not the PPPFA and will continue to be guided by SANRAL’s Transformation Policy.

In its Transformation Policy Statement, SANRAL commits, among others, to maximising the participation of black contractors, professionals, suppliers and designated groups in all its projects, capitalising on the redress provisions in the Constitution and prevailing legislative frameworks.

“SANRAL will continue to follow its transformation policy to advance its transformation objectives,” added the roads agency’s Spokesperson Vusi Mona.

PETER BROWN OFF-RAMP OPENED ON NATIONAL ROAD 3 (N3)

MEDIA RELEASE

PETER BROWN OFF-RAMP OPENED ON NATIONAL ROAD 3 (N3)

Pietermaritzburg, 19 April 2022 – The Peter Brown southbound off-ramp has been opened following delays due to inclement weather, the South African National Roads SOC Agency Limited (SANRAL) has said.

 “The Peter Brown southbound off-ramp was finally opened on 13 April 2022. The current closure of the southbound slow lane is in place for safety reasons and has reduced the roadway to two lanes approaching the Peter Brown off-ramp. Only the middle and fast lanes are in use,” said Thabiso Dladla, SANRAL’s Eastern Region Project Manager.

 The off-ramp will be opened to traffic with an 8-ton load limit. However, the slow lane will remain closed until the entire slow lane is completed. The arrestor bed will remain as the deceleration point to allow heavy vehicles to slow down timeously before moving into the middle lane.

 Motorists planning to use the Peter Brown off-ramp on the southbound carriageway are advised to use caution and switch to the middle lane early enough and follow the queue of slow-moving vehicles for a safe exit onto the off-ramp.

 “We appeal to road users to note and comply with the advance warning signs and speed restrictions when travelling past the construction work zones. Motorists are advised to avoid remaining on the fast lane until the last minute before cutting into the middle lane to exit at the off-ramp as this is extremely dangerous,” said Dladla.

Stop-go traffic control on the N2 section 13 between Makhanda and Fish River Pass

TRAFFIC ADVISORY: Immediate

 

Stop-go traffic control on the N2 section 13 between Makhanda and Fish River Pass

 

Eastern Cape, 13 April 2022: The South African National Roads Agency SOC Limited (SANRAL) wishes to notify travellers that Stop/Go traffic control operations will be in place on the N2 Section 13 between Makhanda (formerly Grahamstown) and Fish River until mid-June 2022.  This includes the period over the Easter weekend between 15 April to 18 April 2022, and also over the Public Holidays on Wednesday 27 April and Monday 2 May 2022. Stop/Go traffic control is currently underway to accommodate half width construction works and are for a full 24-hour period each day, including weekends.

 

The road will be under Stop/Go control on two sections between the Coombs turnoff at Km 79.5 to Km 85 and from Km 88.5 to Km 92 at Frasers Camp where works are being carried out on one half of the road. Motorists are advised to obey the speed restrictions, consider the safety of road workers and to beware of loose stones on the roadway.

 

Motorists travelling westwards between East London or Qonce (formerly King William’s Town) and Gqeberha (formerly Port Elizabeth) may consider using the following alternative route:

 

  • From East London, follow the R72 to Port Alfred and Kenton on Sea through to Nanaga and turn left onto the N2 and continue on to Gqeberha (formerly Port Elizabeth).

 

Motorists travelling eastwards between Gqeberha (formerly Port Elizabeth) and Qonce (formerly King William’s Town) or East London may consider using the following alternative route:

 

  • From Gqeberha (formerly Port Elizabeth), follow the N2 to Nanaga and turn right onto the R72 at the junction at Nanaga and travel on via Alexandria and Port Alfred to East London.
  • From East London, turn left onto the N2 and travel westwards through to Qonce (formerly King William’s Town).

 

“Motorists are requested to plan their trips, accordingly, consider alternative routes and use caution when making use of the roads,” said Mbulelo Peterson, SANRAL Southern Regional Manager.

 

SANRAL apologises for any inconvenience caused.

SANRAL INVESTS OVER R2BN IN KING SABATA DALINDYEBO

MEDIA RELEASE
SANRAL INVESTS OVER R2BN IN KING SABATA DALINDYEBO

Eastern Cape, 12 April 2022: The South African National Roads Agency SOC Limited (SANRAL) has invested more than R2 billion in several road infrastructure development projects in the King Sabata Dalindyebo Local Municipality which will bring much-needed economic opportunities for local business enterprises and communities.

Addressing a round-table discussion of local business enterprises and business associations today (Tuesday 12 April),
Welekazi Ndika, SANRAL Southern Region Stakeholder Coordinator, said the roads agency continues to play a key role in transforming the construction sector and will also continue to ensure that previously marginalised individuals participate and benefit from its road infrastructure development projects.

“It is for this reason that we have convened today’s roundtable discussion to share information about our transformation
agenda as well as interventions we have undertaken to uplift small, medium and micro enterprises (SMMEs) in King Sabata Dalindyebo through our road infrastructure development projects,” said Ndika.

King Sabata Dalindyebo’s Executive Mayor, Nyaniso Nelani, urged local business enterprises to welcome SANRAL’s
investments and overcome whatever hindrances may be in the way of the investments and developmental programmes in the area.

“As the municipality we welcome today’s engagement because it will allow us an opportunity to know and understanding what is required from all of us as stakeholders to turn around this region’s economy. SANRAL’s investment will add the much-needed value to improve our people’s socio-economic conditions by providing jobs and uplifting their business enterprises. Business enterprises have a bigger role to play here, because these investments will also assist them to flourish,” said Councillor Nelani.

Councillor Nelani also outlined the King Sabata Local Municipality’s four priority pillars as reflected in the municipality’s
Integrated Development Plans (IDP). “Our four key pillars include infrastructure development, including road infrastructure; economic development and investment, particularly on high impact projects which address the triple challenges of inequality, poverty and unemployment that continue to face our region, such as the ones that SANRAL have brought into this municipality; addressing critical skills that are needed to grow this region’s economy, and delivering basic services to our communities,” he said.

Athi Kiviet, SANRAL Southern Region Project Manager, said the agency has invested in several projects in the municipality, including the upgrading of the R61 Bhaziya road to Mthatha Airport, the R61 from Mthatha Airport to Madeira Street and the N2 national road from Viedgesville to Mthatha.

“Construction of the Bhaziya to Mthatha Airport project is currently underway. About R237 million has been allocated for the project which is anticipated to be completed in November this year. Construction of the new Mthatha bypass on the National Route N2 is currently in the assessment stage. Over R1 billion has been invested for this project. In addition, we also have a community development project linked to the N2 Viedgesville – Mthatha project in the pipeline. The estimated budget for this project is R200 million,” he said.

Touching on SANRAL’s transformation endeavours, Thandile Makwabe, SANRAL Southern Region Transformation Officer, said the agency continues to optimise using local resources on its projects, ensuring that local communities continue to benefit.

“Guided by our transformation policy, at SANRAL we always ensure that there is transparency and equal opportunities for local community members on our projects. We continue to ensure that there is maximum participation of women, youth, people with disabilities and military veterans, to mention but a few, on our projects. All of this is done to ensure that local resources and local community members benefit from SANRAL projects,” said Makwabe.

SANRAL is also working together with other key socio-economic partners, such as the Eastern Cape Development
Corporation (ECDC), the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC), the Small Enterprise Finance Agency (SEFA), the
National African Federated Chamber of Commerce and Industry (NAFCOC) and the South African Women in Construction (SAWIC), to engage on funding assistance available to SMMEs.

The roundtable discussion with business stakeholders was an important platform for SANRAL to outline its transformation agenda, small enterprise development approach and the economic opportunities its road infrastructure development projects present for targeted enterprises and the community of KSD Local Municipality.

Massive traffic backup near Carousel Toll Plaza

TRAFFIC ADVISORY

 Massive traffic backup near Carousel Toll Plaza

Pretoria, 14 April 2022 – The South African National Roads Agency SOC Limited (SANRAL) wishes to inform motorists travelling in the direction of the Carousel Toll Plaza on the N1 North of a massive traffic back up in the vicinity of the Toll Plaza.

“The traffic back up is caused by law enforcement activities near the Carousel Toll Plaza, ahead of the Easter Weekend, and not caused by Plaza’s operations. The backup is approximately six kilometres and law enforcement officials have now opened up two lanes on the N1 North to allow for increased vehicle flows,” said Louw Kannemeyer, SANRAL’s Engineering Executive.

“As we are travel towards the Easter long weekend, we urge all road users to be cautious and patient on the roads,” said Kannemeyer.

A change in attitude can save lives this Easter, says SANRAL

MEDIA RELEASE
A change in attitude can save lives this Easter, says SANRAL

Pretoria, 14 April 2022 – As the Easter long weekend kicks off, the South African National Roads Agency SOC Limited (SANRAL) wishes to encourage road users to be cautious on the roads to save lives.

SANRAL General Manager of Communications, Vusi Mona, said the Easter period is an important time as many people look forward to travelling far and wide to spend time with family or simply go on vacation, which often poses a challenge with regards to road safety.

“As we are heading towards the Easter long weekend for the much-needed break, we urge all road users to be cautious on the roads,” said Mona. Mona said the roads agency will embark on a national drive to promote road safety over the
weekend and beyond through initiatives such as the ‘WHOA!’ campaign, which encourages road users to ‘stop and reconsider their actions before using the road.

“Our road safety team will be dispatched to various rest spots along the road network across the country such as the Grasmere Petrol Station on N1 North in Gauteng and the Sasol garage in Abbotsford, East London, where they will provide travellers some entertainment and valuable tips to make the journey safer and fun,” he said.

Unsafe driving behaviours such as speeding, reckless driving, drinking and driving, driving while operating mobile phones and fatigue are known to be the leading causes of road incidents. Mona believes that a change in road-user behaviour can play a huge role in saving lives on the roads.

“As a roads authority, we have a huge responsibility to take the lead in influencing the attitudes and behaviour of road users, thus creating a convenient and safe road environment that caters for the needs of all road users,” said Mona.

NO ACCESS TO THE DURBAN PORT

TRAFFIC ADVISORY
NO ACCESS TO THE DURBAN PORT

Pietermaritzburg, 12 April 2022 – Torrential rains in KwaZulu-Natal have resulted in the closure of access to the Durban Port via road, the South African National Roads Agency SOC Limited (SANRAL) has announced.
“Bayhead Road which provides access to the port is completely closed due to heavy rains and flooding. Engineers are on the ground assessing the situation and providing guidance on mobility around the network,” said Ravi Ronny, SANRAL’s Eastern Region Design and Construction Manager.

Some sections of the N3 are partially closed due to the upgrades and the floods have exacerbated the situation on the network.
“We appeal to all motorists and especially freight transport not to leave their destinations to try and come to Durban Port. There is no access to the port. We are working with emergency services to get the road network reopened,” said Ronny.

Increased traffic volumes will be accommodated on Sir Lowry’s Pass over Easter

MEDIA RELEASE
Increased traffic volumes will be accommodated on Sir Lowry’s Pass over Easter

Western Cape, 12 April 2022 – While the R31 million slope stabilisation project on the N2 Sir Lowry’s Pass is well underway, the road will not be fully open to traffic between the hairpin bend and the lookout point at the top of the pass during the Easter weekend. Traffic accommodation will however be adapted to respond to the increased volume.

“This section of road has been operating as a two-lane, two-way roadway since slope stabilisation work commenced earlier this year, but capacity will be adapted to a three-lane facility over the Easter period to accommodate increased holiday traffic,” said Senzo Ngobese, SANRAL Project Manager.

On Thursday, Friday and Saturday there will be two lanes open for traffic leaving Cape Town and one lane will be used for traffic approaching Cape Town. This configuration will be reversed on Easter Sunday, with two lanes available for inbound traffic and only one lane operating for outbound traffic.

Road users are reminded of the alternative route around Clarence Drive, past Hangklip and Betty’s Bay, for accessing Bot River and beyond.

“We appeal to motorists for patience, vigilance and courtesy on the road during this coming long weekend. Let us take collective responsibility for our safety, and that of road construction workers and pedestrians,” said Ngobese.

Opportunities for meaningful SMME participation on N7 upgrade

MEDIA RELEASE
Opportunities for meaningful SMME participation on N7 upgrade

Western Cape, 7 April 2022 – With construction on the upgrade of the N7 between Rooidraai and Moorreesburg now well underway, there are significant project participation opportunities for SMMEs in the Swartland Local Municipality. However, the slow response to subcontracting tenders that have already been advertised, has warranted expanding the net of economic inclusion to SMMEs in the broader West Coast District Municipality.

To this end, the South African National Roads Agency SOC Limited (SANRAL) will host information sessions with SMMEs in Clanwilliam, Piketberg and Malmesbury to share information, provide clarity and ensure they have all the necessary tools to tender for subcontracting opportunities.

The following information sessions will be held:

  • Wednesday, 13 April 2022, at 09h00, Cathy Johnson Centre, Bloekom Avenue, Clanwilliam
  • Wednesday, 13 April 2022, at 14h00, Piketberg Library Hall, Kerk Street, Piketberg
  • Tuesday, 19 April 2022, at 09h00, Wesbank Community Hall, Malmesbury

The following packages are still to be subcontracted:

  • Clearing and shaping existing open drains
  • Subsoil structures
  • Stormwater structures
  • Kerbing and chutes
  • Inlet and outlet structure
  • Trimming of concrete-line open drains
  • Concrete-line open drains
  • Stone pitching
  • Concrete block paving

“Apart from ensuring that we reach more SMMEs with information about the subcontracting opportunities on the remaining packages on this project, we also want to use the information sessions to share information about SANRAL’s upcoming projects on the N7, beyond Moorreesburg. We appeal to SMMEs to attend these sessions to ensure they are able to tender profitably and competitively,” said Petronella Theron, SANRAL Project Manager.

SANRAL remains committed to its transformation objectives that are particularly aligned to facilitate the participation of persons with disabilities, and women- and youth-owned businesses.