We are aware of our duty to help reduce our carbon footprint.
- We replace tar with asphalt, which is bitumen-based and environmentally friendly.
- We recycle road construction materials whereby?aggregate, bitumen and asphalt is milled from old roads, reworked and used when they are upgraded.
- We use solar panels and micro wind turbines to control adjustable messaging signs warning road users to problems ahead.
- Our road construction and maintenance activities have an expected impact on the environment, therefore SANRAL’s approach is to lessen the impact of these activities with project-specific Environmental Management Programmes and interventions such as the use of Reclaimed Asphalt.
- We ensure the country’s road infrastructure helps create a better life for all South Africans.
- Our activities are monitored to ensure compliance with legislation and EIA requirements. This ensures appropriate environmental management work is done.