SANRAL shares road construction plans with stakeholders in Mhlontlo Local Municipality
Eastern Cape, 15 July 2022: The South African National Roads Agency SOC Limited (SANRAL) has shared with various stakeholders’ details of projects being undertaken and that will be undertaken in the Mhlontlo Local Municipality.
SANRAL hosted a Roundtable Engagement session with Mhlontlo Local Municipality stakeholders and provided an overview on the importance of asset preservation. The Roundtable Engagement session was held in Tsolo this week.
“SANRAL contributes to economic empowerment and poverty alleviation by ensuring that small, medium and micro enterprises (SMMEs) are exposed to work experiences that would otherwise not have been possible,” said Welekazi Ndika, SANRAL Southern Region’s stakeholder coordinator.
Ndika further provided an overview of the projects located within the municipality.
The road improvement project on the N2 from Nqadu to Mzeke River and Dan’s Lodge, which started in July 2020, has created 330 jobs and 65 SMMEs have been subcontracted to date. The scope of work includes the upgrading of the road, building a pedestrian bridge at Mhlakulo and safety measures at Lurhasini. The anticipated project completion date is July 2023.
Other projects planned for the municipality include:
- A community development project and small contractor training and development on the N2 Section 19 between Mzeke River (km 55.9) and Mt Frere (km 92.4) Phase 2. The project is located in the Mhlontlo and Umzimvubu Local Municipalities. The tender for the main contractor will be let during the current financial year.
- The Routine Road Maintenance (RRM) of the National Route N2 Section 19 from (km 0.00) to Section 20 (km 69.35) and the National Route R396 Section 6 from (km 39.31) to (km 61.18). The project is located in the King Sabata Dalinyebo, Nyandeni, Mhlontlo and Umzimvubu Local Municipalities. The tender is currently in the evaluation phase.
- The Special Maintenance of the R396 from Maclear to the N2 near Tsolo. The main contractor has not yet been appointed and the project is in the design assessment phase. The project is located in the Mhlontlo and Elundini Local Municipalities. It is anticipated that the construction tender will be advertised in August 2023.
- The road improvement project on the N2 from Mbokotwana River to Qumbu is in Mhlontlo Local Municipality. The main contractor has not yet been appointed and the project is in the detail design stage. It is anticipated that the project will commence in September 2023.
- The construction of a one-way system inside Qumbu is in the design phase. The project is located in the Mhlontlo Local Municipality. The main contractor has not yet been appointed.
Xoliswa Chubana, SANRAL Southern Region’s Community Development Specialist, spoke about the agency’s 14 Point Plan, as well the formation of the Project Liaison Committees (PLC). SANRAL also shared information about its continuing role in infrastructure development and job creation and skills development.
The video of the Roundtable Discussion can be found here: https://we.tl/t-aF9uqAzuTL